Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Birds Nest Craft



Continuing with our Birds Unit and moving on to Nest and the letter Nn.
We started off by reading "Are You My Mother?" by P.D. Eastman

The story is about a little bird who hatches from his egg and wonder's where's his mother and begins a journey to find her. 



After reading the it was time for our Birds Nest Craft, which we actually started yesterday.
 We gathered our supplies:
Yarn
Glue
Water
Balloons
Scissors
Plastic cups
Tot Trays
Smocks
Large Bowl
Rags for clean up

Already having our balloons blown and waiting in cups...

 First I poured a small bottle of glue into the bowl, added water to thin it out. I used the bag to protect my bowl. The mix should be milk consistency, I believe that worked best for us, too thick they take too long to dry. I still have two drying.
I gathered a pile of yarn and she placed all of in the bowl and soaked it.

 Now she place the yarn on top of the balloon and let dry.

 And here is the finished product, I love them!

For more fun we took the bottom of a plastic Easter egg, added googly eyes and a beak to place in the nest.  Now we have a baby bird.


Also right now we have birds building a nest right outside my dining room window. We are able to see them building all day and they also sit on my rocking chair and sing! Awesome timing for this to happen!
But there could be a problem, over the weekend it was Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal, now yesterday and today Mr. & Mrs. Wren have moved in. Then I saw Mr. Cardinal fly out of the nest this morning. Now we have two bird species trying to claim the nest. Oh Boy! We will just watch and see.   


Thanks for visiting us today,
Lori


Craft found Here.

3 comments:

learningtable said...

This is super cute!

Carrie said...

Great idea!! We have been playing with birds nest crafts. We will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

So Cool!

Twitter Bird Gadget