Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Recycled Scarecrow Craft | Guest Post

HI, this is Amber from over at Living at the Whitehead's Zoo.  I was so excited to get to share a post here at La-La's Home Daycare.   I really wanted to do a post kid friendly , holiday or fall themed , and something I had not seen recently .

As I was brainstorming to come up with the perfect idea for this post I was pulling out my Fall decorations.   When I thought of course a scarecrow.  I love scarecrows and snowmen so if you follow me at the Zoo  you might catch a few more post about them.  Then I thought can I make a scarecrow with things I have around the house without going to the store to buy ten things.

As I brainstormed her is what I decided to use:
  • 2 liter bottle empty
  • one old child's shirt
  • one old child's pair of jeans
  • pillow stuffing
  • 2 Gatorade bottles empty
  • rubber bands
  • piece of string
  • google eyes
  • 1 outgrown sun hat
For those of you who don't know me I have one rowdy two year old little boy so my projects have to go pretty quickly and be very toddler friendly if I want any participation from him.

Here are the steps to make our "recycled scarecrow"
  1. Stuff shirt and pants will pillow stuffing (you could use hay or straw, we used stuffing less itchy and on hand) This is the part my 2 year old helped with
  2. Once your stuffed tie off the ends of the shirt  with a rubber band
  3. stick your 2 liter bottle into the shirt
  4. stick 1 Gatorade bottle into each pants leg
  5. Stuff the shirt half down into the pants and tie a string around the waste of the pants to secure
  6. Secure the Gatorade bottles in the legs with rubber bands around each pants leg also.
  7. Add google eyes to your 2 liter
  8. Add your hat
PhotobucketPhotobucket

So easy!  My little boy thinks we made a friend.  He calls him George.

If you want to make this more kid friendly or for a larger group you could do the following:

PhotobucketAdd paint to the 2 liter and have each child shake the bottle to swish the paint around.  This will eventually paint the 2 liter.  If you used orange it would give you more of a pumpkin face.  Have each child bring in something to put on to your scare crow.  You could add patches to the jeans and shirt to have a selection of everyones clothes!  If you wanted to do many scarecrows you could let the children paint the 2 liter bottles into a face.  You can also add straw, or yarn for hair if you like .  We as you can see did not do that.  Most of all just have fun!  I think our George turned out kinda cute.
Photobucket
What do you think?

Thanks for having me by today Lori!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! What a fun way to recycle.

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Twitter Bird Gadget